Skip To Main Content

Working Papers

Working papers may be obtained Monday through Friday from 8:30 to 3:30 at the Brockton Public Schools administrative offices located at 43 Crescent Street. Students must ring the front door bell and wait until they are buzzed in by a staff member.

Here are the guidelines as provided through the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office (which oversee the young workers' program).

14- and 15-year-old Workers
• May not work during school hours, before 7 a.m. or after 7 p.m.
• May work 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. during the summer
• During the school year, may work up to 18 hours per week, 3 hours on a school day and 8 hours a day on Saturday, Sundays & holidays
• May work no more than 6 days per week
• When school is not in session: may work a maximum of 40 hours per week, 8 hours per day and 6 days per week

16- and 17-year-old Workers
• May not work before 6 a.m. or after 10 p.m. (except in restaurant until midnight on Fridays, Saturdays and during school vacation)
• During the school year, may work a maximum of 48 hours per week, 9 hours per day, 6 days per week
• When school is not in session: may work a maximum of 48 hours per week, 9 hours per day, 6 days per week

Under 14-years-old
There are certain jobs, like delivering newspapers or doing light farm work, that do not require working papers.

Types of work
The child labor laws protect teens from doing dangerous work. Therefore, Massachusetts workers younger than 18 may not drive a vehicle or forklift; use meat slicers or power-driven bakery machines; handle, serve or sell alcoholic beverages; use a circular saw, band saw, guillotine shears or a box crusher; work in wrecking, demolition, ship breaking or excavation fields; work in mining, logging or sawmilling fields; perform roofing or railway operations functions; manufacture or store explosives; or be exposed to radioactive substances, among other provisions.

What you need to get a work permit:
1. You must have a job before you apply for a work permit.
2. Workers under 16 are required to have two forms completed before the School Department can issue a work permit:
• The School Department will give the worker a Promise of Employment Form to be signed by their employer and their doctor.
• The worker then goes to their school to get a School Record form signed.
• Both forms must then be returned to the receptionist at the Crosby Administration Building, who will review the forms and issue a work permit.
3. Once completed bring the completed promise of employment form along with a valid student ID or school record and One of the following: official birth certificate, a current passport, a current driver’s license or current learner’s permit.

Employment Permit Application for 14 through 17 Year-Olds

For more information, please visit the
MA Dept. of Labor & Workforce Development