August 23, 2022
Dear BPS Community,
With the start of the school year just around the corner, here are a few updates regarding the district’s efforts to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
The following protocols are in line with recommendations put forth by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE):
- Masks are optional and many of our students and staff members will opt to wear them this school year. We will support any decision students and families make. Per the Department of Public Health, masks are still required in all nurses’ offices. We will provide paper masks to students who need to visit the nurse.
- DESE concluded its statewide testing program and routine testing will not be offered in the Brockton Public Schools this school year. We instead recommend that staff and families keep a reserve of at-home tests, available free of charge here.
- As has always been standard practice for the Brockton Public Schools, any student who falls ill during the school day will be referred to the nurse’s office and their parent/guardian will be notified.
- Though the district discontinued contact tracing in the winter, our Health Services Department continues to closely monitor cases in consultation with city and state epidemiologists. We will follow epidemiologists’ recommendations.
- Students and staff who exhibit symptoms of COVID-19 should remain home and test prior to returning to school. We will excuse absences in accordance with requirements outlined in the student handbook. It is expected that each family will thoroughly review the handbook at the start of the school year so that they understand their rights and responsibilities.
- The district continues to encourage all eligible individuals to get vaccinated. A list of free clinics is available here; you may also contact your child’s physician to schedule a vaccination.
This update reflects the most current guidance. However, we reserve the right to amend any of these protocols based on the pandemic’s evolving nature.
Chief Marketing and Communications Officer
email@example.com | 508-208-0164
Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications
firstname.lastname@example.org | 781-857-9404