Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
VISION: To be a leader among peers as a learning and workplace environment that is representative of our nation and global society, accepts and values everyone, appreciates our common humanity, and understands that our diversity and layered identities are what makes us unique as a school district.
MISSION: To move forward with urgency and purpose to create and sustain a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive school district that is reflected in our policies, practices, and workspaces.
Ways that the EDI Office supports our school community include but are not limited to:
- Reviewing school policies, procedures, and practices to ensure they are equitable and inclusive of all employees and students and that they promote positive relationships.
- Supporting the district in creating positive and academically rigorous school learning environments for educators, staff, and students through affinity spaces and groups.
- Supporting employees of color through affinity spaces and groups that promote inclusion and agency.
- Supporting employees in professional learning workshops that center our work in the Focus Areas and on equity, diversity, inclusion, and social justice.
- Supporting educators in using instructional curriculum materials that decolonize learning for students by providing more "mirrors and windows".
- Supporting students through BPS Community Mentor program.
- Collaborating on affinity spaces and groups that promote inclusion and engagement for students.
- Bridging community organizations to the students (i.e., college/career access, health & wellness agencies, etc.)
- Preparing schools for integrating trauma-informed care and restorative practices as the approach for restoring harm.
BROCKTON PUBLIC SCHOOLS
OFFICE OF EQUITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
43 CRESCENT STREET
BROCKTON, MA 02301
Darnell Thigpen Williams
SR. Administrator of Professional Growth and School Culture