Michael Smith, Director of Music Education, K-12
The Brockton Public Schools' Music Program, K-12 encompasses a sequential program of general classroom music instruction, instrumental and choral instruction and performance, and introduction to computer technology. The program is based upon sound current research and provides students with multiple strategies for becoming critical and creative musicians, listeners, and composers.
The Brockton Public Schools adopts the vision of the Massachusetts Arts Curriculum Framework. Music should generate intellectual and emotional excitement that helps bring people and art together. Through an effective program, music will have a lasting positive influence throughout one's life.
• All students will have access to high quality music programs.
• Music instruction will encourage learners to make multicultural and interdisciplinary connections.
• Students will develop musical skills through interactive learning.
• Teachers will provide challenges and opportunities for students at all levels of musical ability.
• Material will be drawn from many genres, time periods and cultures.
• Music assessment will monitor students' performance, improve instruction, enhance learning, and encourage students' self-reflection.