EDISON ACADEMY MISSION
The mission of the Thomas Edison Academy is to implement an innovative program that offers instructional support and intervention strategies that reconnect students who are over aged and under credited for grade level, and are either at-risk of, or have already dropped out of school. The Academy seeks to embrace these youth in a rigorous high school diploma program focused on academics, career training and college readiness. The Edison Academy will accelerate student progress and maximize the effectiveness of how curriculum and instruction are delivered through the development of 21st Century literacy skills and a responsive personalized learning experience.
The Thomas Edison Academy seeks to teach our students in a safe, supportive environment the knowledge, skills, values, and behaviors necessary to become responsible and productive members of a diverse society. Instruction focuses on enabling students to demonstrate the literacy skills of reading, writing, speaking, and reasoning and preparing them to participate actively as citizens in a technologically advanced society.
470 Forest Avenue
Brockton, MA 02301
Classes: 3:15 p.m. - 8:22 p.m.,
Office Hours: 3:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m., M-Th
- Welcome Message
- Parent Involvement
- Contact Us
- Community Partners
- Graduation Requirements
- Edison Academy Report Card & Overview
Dear Parent/Guardian and Student:
Welcome to the Thomas Edison Academy, a diploma-granting Brockton Public School. Our program provides students an opportunity to earn a high school diploma with evening classes that offer flexibility for working students.
Edison Academy was designed to provide non-traditional students with a high quality education and the tools and support they need to fulfill their potential. We encourage students and parents to maintain contact with teachers, guidance counselors and administrators on a regular basis in an effort to resolve minor issues before they become major problems. We stand at the ready to assist you.
Best wishes to both students and parents as we begin a new school year.
James Cobbs, Ph.D.
Parent involvement is a key component of student success.
The School Improvement Council of the Edison Academy encourages parent participation. It meets once a month and focuses on the development and implementation of a school improvement plan each year.
Parents are encouraged to participate in school life; we welcome your feedback and input and encourage you to communicate with administrators and teachers. The more communication between school and home the more successful the student can be.
In order to receive an Edison Academy diploma, a student must pass the following high school subjects and tests:
- English 1, 2, 3 and 4
- US History I & II
- Two Science Courses
- Two Electives
- Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS) Tests in English, Math and Science.
If a student attended another accredited high school in the United States prior to enrolling at Edison Academy and received credits for any of the above courses, credit for these courses may be applied by the principal, reducing the number of courses needed to graduate. The following documentation should also be submitted if applicable:
- Transcript from your most recent public school
- Individual Education Plan for Special Education students
- MCAS scores (if applicable)
- Attendance & discipline records
- ACCESS test records for English Language Learners
Enrollment at Edison Academy requires the following:
- Students must be 17 – 21 years of age.
- Students who have recently moved to Brockton, must visit the Parent Information Center with required documentation. Once all their documents have been received, their information will be sent to Edison Academy. Edison Academy will then contact the student to come in to meet with the principal and enroll. Students under 18, must have a parent or guardian accompany them to the meeting.
- Students who are residents, but who are not currently enrolled in a Brockton Public School or who have withdrawn from a Brockton Public School, must re-engage at the Parent Information Center on 60 Crescent Street in Brockton. After they have re-engaged at the Parent Information Center, their information will be sent to Edison Academy. Edison Academy will then contact the student to come in to meet with the principal and enroll. Students under 18, must have a parent or guardian accompany them to the meeting.
- Students currently enrolled in another Brockton Public School must obtain a referral from their current guidance counselor signed off by the principal of the sending school. Once received by Edison Academy, the referral will be reviewed by the principal. Edison Academy will then contact the student to come in to meet with the principal and enroll. Students under 18, must have a parent or guardian accompany them to the meeting.
- Students attending Brockton High School or other public high schools in the area, may take classes at Edison Academy for a fee of $165.00 per course. Students must come to the Edison Guidance Office and complete a registration form and pay a minimum of 50% of the cost of the course(s) to begin. The balance must be paid midway through the semester. Failure to pay for courses completed will result in no credit being issued for the class(es) and the student will not be able to take any further courses until the balance is paid.