Brockton Public Schools
School Committee Policy
LIBRARY MATERIALS - IJL-R
The continuous review of library materials is necessary as a means of maintaining a useful and active collection. As new materials are selected and added, some older materials are removed from the shelves. The responsibility for determining which materials are to be removed shall rest with the certified staff.
Among the other reasons for an item to be removed from the collection are the following:
- Curricular changes have rendered as superfluous materials (or multiple copies of materials) formerly used but no longer in demand.
- Materials contain information that is no longer accurate or current.
- Materials intended for recreational reading have become dated or unattractive and are no longer in demand. Some books that are deemed standards or classics shall be retained even though they rarely circulate.
- Materials have worn out, been damaged or physically deteriorated, and have lost utility, and/or appeal.
- Materials have been superseded by newer items that present the same information but in superior format.