Brockton Public Schools
School Committee Policy
CERTIFIED STAFF RECRUITMENT - GCE-E
RECRUITMENT, INTERVIEWING AND APPOINTMENT OF TEACHERS
- The selection of teachers for the Brockton Public Schools is based on the candidate’s merit and promise of success in contributing to the education of the children who will be taught. Teachers should be selected by considering, but not limited to, such qualifications as professional preparation and experience, interest and understanding of children, intelligence, personality, organization and breadth of knowledge, both general and professional.
- The search for teacher talent should be a continuing process that will result in a pool of excellent candidates. In order to achieve this, it is necessary to recruit at various colleges and invite candidates to apply, rather than depending entirely upon self-recruited talent.
- Candidates must furnish the School Department with a completed application, transcripts of undergraduate and graduate grades, and references from coordinating teachers and supervisors. Experienced teachers will also submit references from their past and present supervisors.
- When a file is complete, responsible reviewers will indicate that the application should be filed for future reference, or that the applicant should be invited for an interview because of an opening in the field or an anticipated opening.
- Elementary candidates selected for further consideration generally will be interviewed by at least 3 school officials, among whom will be principals and the Senior Director of Human Resources or his/her designee.
- Secondary candidates selected for further consideration generally will be interviewed by at least 3 school officials among whom will be a department head, housemaster/principal and the Senior Director of Human Resources or his/her designee.
- Specialists selected for further consideration generally will be interviewed by at least 3 school officials, among whom will be a director/coordinator, principal and the Senior Director of Human Resources or his/her designee.
- Whenever possible, candidates shall be observed in a teaching situation in one of the Brockton schools or in the school where they may be teaching.
Elected teachers must submit to the School Department the following:
- Massachusetts certification
- Physician’s report of good health
- Negative report of a chest X-ray or a Mantoux test
- Separation papers from the Armed Services if applicable
- Withholding forms
- Upon request, Brockton residents will be granted an interview when their file is complete.
- An attempt by anyone to circumvent the procedure outlined in this section in order to gain employment will be considered detrimental to the person’s candidacy.