Brockton Public Schools
School Committee Policy
ATHLETIC ELIGIBILITY - JJIC
Physical and Academic:
The standing committee on athletics of the M.I.A.A. will resolve all questions on eligibility. The violation of any eligibility rule may result in the forfeiture of a won game. A mistake could spoil a good season’s record. If there is any doubt concerning eligibility, consult with the Housemaster and then the Principal.
Squad candidates are to have a physical examination before participation in any athletic contest.
Coaches will check on the student athlete for academic problems both during and out of season. The athletic office will, if necessary, assist in this matter.
- All junior high school athletes must meet M.I.A.A. requirements. Because there are only four major subjects, athletes must pass a minimum of three of these four majors, have a passing grade in citizenship and maintain those grades during the sport's season.
- All seventh grade students from Brockton grade schools are eligible for the fall season. Transfers and eighth graders must conform to #1.
- Students who turn sixteen years of age on or after September 1 of that school year are ineligible for seventh or eighth grade sports.
- Coaches are responsible for sending lists of candidates to the principals. Principals or their designees are responsible for determining eligibility (NOT COACHES).
- School attendance is required on the day of the contest. It is the responsibility of the coach to enforce this rule.